BMW E38 OBC hidden menu gives inside view of the diagnostic tests and readouts from various sensors in your vehicle. Find out what’s your battery voltage, accurate fuel level, test sound chimes, displays and indicators, perform gauge test (needle sweep), adjust trip computer fuel economy and much more. This service mode is made for early diagnostics of your instrument cluster and other vehicle components.
Performing this procedure may cause permanent damage to your car.
Do this at your own risk!
We are not responsible for any loss or damage.
BMW E38 OBC hidden menu – procedure
- Press and hold right button in the instrument cluster.
- Turn the key to position I (ACC).
- Release the button when “TEST-NR. 01” appears on the screen.
- Use right button to select test main channel.
- Use left button to select test sub channel.
BMW E38 OBC hidden menu – unlock all tests
- Go to “TEST-NR. 01” and check the FGSTNR value.
- Add up last five digits of that number (GZ70662 = 7+0+6+6+2 = 21). This is your code to unlock all test in BMW E39 OBC hidden menu.
- Go to “TEST-NR. 19” and use left button to enter your code.
- Now all diagnostic test are available.
BMW E38 OBC hidden menu description
- FGSTNR (vehicle identyfication number)
- CI DI BI (coding, diagnosis, bus index)
- DAT (manufacture date)
- HW SW (hardware and software versions)
- ZYL M S (number of cylinders, ?, ?)
- CAN KI
- Instrument cluster test
- Fuel litres used since last service inspection
- Days since last service inspection
- Current fuel consumption l/100km
- Current fuel consumption l/h
- Average fuel consumpion used to calculating range
- Momentary range to refuel
- TANK L R S (fuel level readouts from left sensor, right sensor and estimated sum)
- KTMP (coolant temperature)
- N (engine speed)
- ATMP (ambient air temperature)
- V (real current speed)
- V-ANZ (current speed for speedometer)
- UB (battery voltage)
- LAND (domestic market)
- EINHEIT 1
- EINHEIT 2
- EINHEIT 3
- VANK (average speed used for calculating ETA)
- ANK (ETA)
- GONG (instrument cluster speaker test)
- DIAG (most likely diagnostic trouble codes – DTCs)
- PORT (most likely input states from doors, seat belts…)
- OELTEMP (oil temperature)
- RCC-EMPF (current time received by radio)
- LOCK (hidden menu lock)
- KVBR (fuel consumption correction)
- RESET? (resets date, time and trip computer memory, brings back default settings)